Saturday, December 3, 2016

Coffee with God

I don't struggle with studying the word. Research comes easy and fun to me. Writing is something I do by my very nature. But listening... that talent is going to be hard earned in my life. But it's something I strive to have and am willing to work towards. Especially listening to God and what He has to say about my life. And so one thing I do to increase the listening talent is to sit in the morning and have a cup of coffee with God. 


It's actually been such a good thing to have added to my days. I will pray, think, and I've played music before, but to get to the point of it I do best when it's silent, I have my Bible and notebook nearby, and I simply sit and listen. 

I may ask God into a situation and ask Him what He wants me to do. I may ask God what He wants to tell me. I may bring my bitterness to Him again. Each day is it's own, just like a relationship with another person. But nearly every day I have walked away from that cup of coffee feeling led, heard, and loved.

I will admit, there have been a few times where I heard nothing special, just my own brain thoughts going nine times to nothing. I still don't have answers to a few situations I feel a little lost within. But there have been times which were just precious.

I've had a verse dropped into my heart which reminded me of God's love and peace. The other morning God reminded me who I am and who He is. Because I had forgotten. There have been times when I heard a name of someone who needed prayer, or redirection of my heart when it was off track But mostly there has been the knowledge that God and I are getting to know each other better. Which surely must be the highest goal, yes? To know God better?

So, I want to challenge you this morning and for the month of December: have coffee with God. Allow Him to speak into your heart, mind, and life. Take some time to sit and listen to see what He has to say. And if you are scared you aren't going to like what He has to say? Maybe that's all the more reason to sit still just a little bit longer. Because what I know is God does not condemn me because I am His daughter. He corrects me, and that, my friend, is a beautiful difference that all His children get to receive.

No comments:

Post a Comment