Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Not on the road, in my heart.


Jeremiah 31:33 
“This is the covenant I will make with the people of Israel after that time,” declares the Lord. “I will put my law in their minds and write it on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people.

The verse in the graphic? That's the one that came to mind first. I have to admit I have used it willy nilly not seeing what scripture said around it. I've probably used it with a road picture. You know, God will lead me in the actual literal direction I should go. I know I've thought of it that way tons of times. 

Today I read more. Today I saw when God is showing me the way to walk in, He is talking about me coming back to Him. Obeying Him. Removing all idols from my life. It's about what is going on in my heart, not on the road.

Then the verse I typed above came to my head. It's freshly there because of the RevWell Instructor Training Bible study, I will admit. But suddenly the two merged and my brain saw how they go together.

God directs me in the path I should go when I am in covenant with Him. It's not about a moment in time, a single decision, but rather where my heart is turned and who I have given it to. I have to wonder though, how often have I hoped for direction from God in regards to a situation, but I wasn't listening to what He said to my heart? 

God is awesome, amazing, and mighty. He does direct me, lead me, guide me in situations. But it will require a few things from me:
1 - I must be in covenant with Him, one that is written on my heart so that it changes me from the inside out.
2 - I must take the time to listen to Him regularly, and get rid of idols from my life.
3 - I must live by what He tells me, in all things, not just certain situations. 
Oh, yes, I am messing up all the time. But with God's grace I will continue to be in covenant with Him. One that directs my heart back to Him constantly. 

2 comments: