Tuesday, October 11, 2016

In order to give comfort first we must receive.

I don't think we can comfort only those who have been in similar situations as we have. I do think everyone receives comfort differently. I do think some wont be able to accept comfort from us. I know the one place I can always receive comfort is God, and if I don't receive from Him I can't give to anyone else.


I don't always know what to do or say. Sometimes I do and say the wrong things. It's part of being human. Prayerfully the ones we are interacting with know our hearts. But then we've talked about that before, haven't we?

I have been carrying a heavy burden lately and it is shutting me down and shutting me out. My heart grieves and there are moments I give up. I see others hurting, burdened, confused, heavy as well. And my heart grows heavier. Mainly because I want to be God and fix them, but then we've talked about that, too.

This morning as I was prepping salads, winning the steel cut oat war, thinking about those I love and this world we live in I knew that I had to set it all aside. I had to breathe. I had to receive comfort from the One who can give it to me true and pure. And then maybe I will be worth something to someone else. Maybe after I have received from Him I will be able to give to others without drowning in it all. That's where I'm putting my hope right now.

Paul tells the Corinthians that he despaired for his very life. That he and his companions felt as if they had been given the death sentence. Think on that a moment. Where is the hope there? But then how many of us live that way every day? I have. I've felt as if there was no hope. I give up. I don't know which way to turn, and sometimes I stop turning. But Paul says, because of this feeling he learned not to rely on himself but God. And that's where he found his hope, in the God who saves. Can we let these feelings turn us TO God? To the One who saves? Can we find hope in Him to be with us, help us, and strengthen us? Can we learn to be content? Are we willing to receive comfort from the God of Comfort?

No matter the circumstances, situations, heartache, burden, heaviness, confusion, or doubt we are wearing one thing is certain: God is waiting to comfort you. And me. Will we take the time to receive it from Him? I think if we all did that we'd be able to interact with one another so much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment