Thursday, June 2, 2016

Be who you were created to be.

There's no better time to talk about being unique than on the days when you realize how much you don't fit in. We aren't really made to fit in, are we? We are called to be holy: set apart. God created each of us with our own special talents, personalities, and gifts. He gave us unique point of views, experiences, and motivations. There's no way we will be just like anyone else, and yet we ruffle our feathers when we see that we are different and aren't fitting in like we want to. 

I think the reason for this is because we want to belong, and we have the misguided idea that the only way to really belong is to be exactly like everyone else. And so we work and try to fit our square pegs into the round holes, and it hurts and doesn't work. Sure, we have some things in common with others, and I think it's so important to have core beliefs which are the same as those who are closest to us, but we wont be identical, and we shouldn't be.


I'm so sorry if you don't like who you are. My heart breaks for you if you think you are less than, not good enough, or bad. I want you to know that you are an amazing creature. God loves you and He created you. He sees where you are still on target, or where you may have gone off a little, but get this! He will use every bit of you and everything you have been through, done, experienced for your good if you love Him and let Him.

Not only that but He created you to fit into His family. Not just as an after thought, but an intricate part. I love 1 Corinthians 2 and I think the Message writes it out so well. We are all to be how God created us to be, and that will not be like anyone else God created.

I love this because I tend to be one of those girls who does very well behind the scenes. I will work hard, take care of things others don't think about, and stay invisible. I'm learning to step out when necessary, because God is still working within me so some things I am called to do wont be as comfortable as others, but I'm still being me even in these new ways. Or at least I try to be. 

Yes, there are many people in my life who I look to as mentors, even if they don't know it. I watch them. I learn from them. They inspire me. In so many different ways and doing different things. I can see clearly how we are all meant to be unique and individual when I observe all the inspirational people set before me. While they inspire me, and I learn from them, I do not try to be like them. I wouldn't do a very good job at it, and I know because I have tried that in my past before. 

I'm sure most of us have. Sometimes imitation is a form of flattery. Sometimes copying helps us find the real us. But no matter where you are in the journey of being you please hear me clearly, you are unique. 

Try to enjoy that. Try to remember that's how God made you. Try to hold onto what you know about being unique even when you start feeling as if not fitting in is a bad thing. 


A little note about the above picture, it was taken by my husband during my black belt test. I was tickled when I saw it. I certainly take the sport and art seriously, but I also laugh and enjoy myself. I went through a period where I was self-conscious and thought I laughed too much. I'm glad I was able to release that. While I have quiet moments as well, the joy and laughter help me be me. And plus, when you try to be like someone else you end up losing part of yourself.

Don't lose you. Do you! Be the wonderful unique creation God created you to be!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Stacey, I just wanted to let you know how much this blog encouraged me. As I was growing up (non-Christian) a lot of the time I felt I didn't fit in. It wasn't until I became a Christian alot later in life that I finally found somewhere I belonged and yet could still be me. Where I feel comfortable in my own skin. I love your honesty about your faith journey and who you are as a person and how intrinsically linked that is.
    Be blessed
    Your sister in Christ
    Sharron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for dropping in, Sharron! I appreciate your kind thoughts, and encouragement. I'm so glad God helped you find the place where you could be who He made you to be. <3

      Delete